Our Services

S4CS provides a wide range of services as you can see from the list below. However, if there’s something you’re looking for that isn’t on the list then please

text: 07486 632611

call:  07783754063 

email: enquiries@S4CS.org.uk

  • Communicator Guide service for people who have dual sensory loss
  • Specialist Support provision for Deaf and hard of hearing people, of all ages from 14 years and over
  • Independent Living
  • Ad-hoc support
  • Support planning
  • Communication support
  • Support for those leaving hospital
  • Gardening
  • Cleaning
  • Counselling, visit: www.bluebellcounsellingservices.co.uk

How to access support from our service?

  1. Referral to this service can be made through the council, doctor, other professional or an individual person (self-referral)
  2. S4CS or a referral agency will arrange a home visit to discuss and carry out an assessment with the service user directly to identify the individual’s support needs to enable the creation of a tailor-made individual support plan.
  3. Once assessment is completed, it will go to a panel for an approval.
  4. An allocated specialist community support worker will provide the one-to-one support following the tailor-made support plan.

If you have any support requirements then please email on enquiries@s4cs.org.uk, text on 07486 632611 or call on 07783754063.

Who do we work with?


S4CS work with a wide variety of professionals from various services including:

  • NHS and other specialised medical services
  • DWP Benefits including UC, PIP and other benefits
  • Local Authorities and their departments
  • Business setup and support
  • Access to Work (AtW) set up and support
  • Police, courts and other legal systems
  • Women’s Aid agencies
  • Children services
  • Housing, residential and housing benefits
  • Adult Health and Social Care
  • BSL interpretation / deaf relay
  • Training, work and education
  • Immigration and British Citizen Applications